In what ways do drugs affect the nervous system?
Like neurotransmitters, drugs can speed up (CNS stimulants) or slow down (CNS depressants) the transfer of electro-chemical messages between neurons in the brain. Messages between neurons can also be distorted when hallucinogenic drugs are taken.
What are four ways that drugs can be delivered to the body?
Routes of Delivery
Medications can be taken in a variety of ways—by swallowing, by inhalation, by absorption through the skin, or by intravenous injection.
What are 5 ways drugs can enter the body?
Substances can enter the body through various means. Drugs can be smoked, snorted, injected, swallowed (pills, capsules, liquids), or applied through transdermal means (applied to the skin).
What drugs can cause nerve damage?
Some of the drugs that may cause peripheral neuropathy include:
- Anti-alcohol drugs (Disulfiram)
- Anticonvulsants: Phenytoin (Dilantin®)
- Cancer medications (Cisplatin)
- Heart or blood pressure medications (Amiodarone)
What are 4 types of drugs?
What Are the Four Types of Drugs?
- Depressants. Some of the most commonly found types of drugs in society are depressants. …
- Stimulants. Stimulants, such as caffeine or nicotine, work in the opposite manner. …
- Opioids. The opioid addiction crisis has affected our society to a grave degree. …
What are 7 ways medicine can be delivered?
Anesthetics and analgesics (such as morphine) are sometimes given this way.
- Sublingual and buccal routes. …
- Rectal route. …
- Vaginal route. …
- Otic route. …
- Nasal route. …
- Cutaneous route. …
- Transdermal route.
How does route of administration affect drug action?
Since the bioavailability of a drug is directly dependent on the rate and extent of drug absorption at the site of administration, factors affecting drug absorption, including the route of administration directly affect the bioavailability of that drug.
How are drugs delivered to the body?
Common routes of administration include oral, parenteral (injected), sublingual, topical, transdermal, inhaled, rectal, and vaginal, however drug delivery is not limited to these routes and there may be several ways to deliver medications through each route.
What are the five ways in which drugs can enter the body quizlet?
Terms in this set (5)
- transdermal patches. absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin.
- smoked or inhaled. absorbed into the bloodstream through vessels in the lungs.
- injected through a needle. injected drugs have a stronger. …
- swallowed drugs. …
- apply directly to a certain area.
What are drugs that slow down the central nervous system?
Central Nervous System (CNS) depressants are medicines that include sedatives, tranquilizers, and hypnotics. These drugs can slow brain activity, making them useful for treating anxiety, panic, acute stress reactions, and sleep disorders.